As 2020 finally draws to an end, here’s a look back at some of the most popular articles on GirlonFilms during the past 12 months, from The Mandalorian and Star Wars, to Take That’s big screen outing, to a book by Liverpool star.
10. We kick off the list with the first look at short film Cognition, starring Jeremy Irvine and Andrew Scott. The film is described as a short dystopian sci-fi drama / thriller about a son confronting his past trauma. Journeying through the symbolic landscape of the subconscious mind, the story follows an unbreakable bond between father and son.
9. The Mandalorian has been one of the most talked-about TV series of 2020. And an article about what the Darksaber means proved to be particularly popular.
8. Exclusive news on a new biography of Mary Poppins star David Tomlinson caught your imagination. The book, by Nathan Morley, follows the actor’s life through war, tragedy, fame and Hollywood.
7. Andrew Cotter and his dogs Mabel and Olive have taken social media by storm during the year, with funny videos of the man and his dogs coping with lockdown. So it’s not really a surprise that news of a book about the three proved popular with GirlonFilms readers.
6. Star Wars is back on the list with the first trailer for the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special. From a lego Baby Yoda to the Emperor telling Darth Vader “Less talky talky, more fighty fighty” it seems this was the trailer that really caught readers’ imagination in 2020.
5. Into the top five stories of the year, and it’s the first casting news of a new film based on the Take That musical, The Band. Ruth Wilson, Cush Jumbo and Rosamund Pike are all believed to have been in talks to star.
4. Time to get festive now. We posed the question, which Oscar-winner is directing Coca Cola’s Christmas 2020 TV ad? And it seems you wanted the answer!
3. More festive news, but this one you might have to wait a while to see. The first look at Silent Night starring Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode and Roman Griffith Davis was one of our most-read articles of the year.
2. So what’s our second-most popular article of the year? It’s about Liverpool’s Andy Robertson’s plan to write a book about his team’s incredible 2019/2020 season. Now You’re Gonna Believe Us followed Robbo and the team from winning the Champions League at the end of the 2018/19 season to becoming Premier League champions for the first time in 30 years.
1. So what’s the most-read article on GirlonFilms in 2020? Well, we go back to Take That. The news that The Band, based on their music, is being made into a film proved to be incredibly popular. Now titled Greatest Day, the project is expected to film in 2021.